ad_libber Made with My Cool Signs.Net

The World of ad libber

>> Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Recently, with economic problems aplenty, I have found myself trying to explain away most of the policies and actions, trying to justify them to my economist mind, so to speak. It was rather comfortable to feel that I could actually fit in a theory with every random policy the government could inflict on the world. Therefore, it was extremely disappointing to know the government had not actually fitted any theories and did what they did because they do so every decade or so. Sometimes, I think, Economics is nothing but an accident.

My professor tells me the present crisis is just the tip of the iceberg. Things are going to worsen and we are all going to end up as paupers. But, on a happier note, economists will always be in demand, as modern Cassandras foretelling gloom and despair, aware of the horrors waiting to face us, yet unable to persuade the common people of them. The lot of an economist...but then you know how the line ends.

It is the wedding season again and fish fry filled weddings beckon enticingly. Nowadays, they have started to get fancier with lobsters and pasta heading the list. All I say is, a wedding without fish fries is positively illegal and the couple is living in sin. However, present wedding scares include the diminishing difference in age between the bride and me. As I get older and they start becoming people I have grown up with, attending weddings has become less about fish fries and more about gaping horrified at the bride and blubbering at the your drink, which is, invariably, instant coffee.

Back in the world of Economics, misguided professors expect students to write essays on important economic topics, possibly to discourage them from writing theses later on, one presumes. Yours truly has been given the world shattering topic of Imperialism and what it did to Indian agriculture and I have immediately proceeded to write something on the lines of a novel by Shobhaa De, an essay so outspoken that it would bring the blush on the cheeks of the most hardened of examiners. But there is only so much you can do with Indian agriculture, a subject which provides no inspiration whatsoever in a writer. Not once have I found an opportunity to introduce the technique of Dance of the Seven Veils to divert attention from some particularly dull bit about farmer oppression.

In the world of humans, classmates can now be divided into two parts. People who will be giving the CAT and people who will remain poverty stricken for life. The section belonging to the latter has suddenly started scraping acquaintances with people belonging to the former. Beautiful friendships are sprouting at every corner between people who are going to make it and people who are going to make their mark. It is, apparently, not possible to do both. It is also, remarks the HOD, a criminal offense if you do not do either. If you can not win the Nobel, says he, make some money. A principle most people seem to be happy giving in to. Random comments centering around the theme, "I think I will give up all this and study social anthropology" is not something people around me take kindly to. Especially since no one really knows what it means and dislikes admitting that.

In the world of animals, I tried to kidnap a puppy, since my mother refuses to give me one. The puppy, unfortunately, disappeared (not due to the exertions of being kidnapped, but due to rather overbearing siblings, not mine, the puppy's) and I am a shadow of my former self, my heart an empty hollow. It is definitely not better to have loved and lost. Nowadays, I seem to be entering into a lot of debates about whether one should get a baby or a puppy. In the same note, I also seem to be entering into a lot of debates about whether Jhoom Barabar Jhoom is a better movie than Tashan. I pitch for JBJ every time. I also pitch for the puppy. But, if given a choice among anything on earth, all I would really, really want from life, is a baby elephant.

5 scaly flippers:

What's In A Name ? 2:39 am, November 27, 2008  

"It is definitely not better to have loved and lost." - hope to hear more from you on that.

In a less rambling post, if that's at all possible i.e.

Abhishek 6:46 pm, November 27, 2008  

resent wedding scares include the diminishing difference in age between the bride and me.

okay, we're all getting old and eligible and mature :O and really really driven by the (i must admit) luring aftermath of marriage :D
but, HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THE FOOD?!

Amazing Graze 11:18 am, November 28, 2008  

wedding season is a nightmare for me. I have panic attacks every time i see one of my classmates or acquaintances all decked up in benaroshis & tonnes of jewellery. They are somehow more scary than all the economic meltdown babble.

vanilla sky 7:07 pm, December 03, 2008  

'present wedding scares include the diminishing difference in age between the bride and me'
this and random questions from people about one's future plans is what scares me
and by fish fry you obviously mean the one with fillets , right? in my last attended wedding, they had some fried fish menu which was an absolute disaster

aandthirtyeights 10:34 am, December 04, 2008  

"In the world of humans, classmates can now be divided into two parts. People who will be giving the CAT and people who will remain poverty stricken for life."

Wrong.

In the world of humans, classmates can now be divided into two parts. People who will be giving the CAT and remaining poverty stricken for life, and people who will remain poverty stricken for life.

  © Blogger template Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP