ad_libber Made with My Cool Signs.Net

It is That Time of the Year Again

>> Saturday, February 09, 2008

1) When colleges close up within a few hours notice. When you may suddenly end up in the first page of newspapers. When you might switch on the TV and see your classmate being beaten up. When everyone is fawning over you.

For College Elections have come to town.

I frankly pity students who have never studied in a politically inclined college. Nothing, nothing beats the news of college being closed down because policemen have gheraoed the area. And, of course, if you have ever had a crush on one of those politicians who would never deign to look at an unpolitical mite as you, this is the perfect time for the come-hither looks.

Let the Chinese have their New Years. Let the lovers have their Valentine Days. Let the chickens have their flus. I have more involved, passionate and dangerous events to look forward to.

2) When one realizes its about time one comes to term with reality and starts taking her graduation seriously. So the first thing one goes and does is watch Dr. Strangelove. Of course, after such an experience, it is hard to take anything seriously. Plans are in the offing to watch Elizabeth next. The probable inspiration one looks forward to is declare to the whole world one is illegitimate and go tell Bilawal Bhutto that one is the rightful heir to Pakistan's throne. Then again, it is not right to assume brotherly feelings for him after having lusted for that aquiline nose for months.

Then again, as discussed so minutely in the last post(specially the comment section), I am probably about to be declared non-collegiate. So do not think it is worth taking the pressure of examinations for.

3) Valentine's Day. When happy couples spend money on each other and single people go around protesting that its just a marketing gimmick. Of course, I do not believe in Valentine's Day. It is a marketing gimmick.

Bonky and I happen to be the only unattached (or as we prefer calling ourselves, detached) people remaining in possibly this entire world. And no, we have not had any lesbian tendencies. But it is a sad week for both of us while we take advantage of the Valentine sales to buy chocolates and wristwatches for ourselves. But we are a kindly lot. We want the other to be happily settled in commitment bliss. Which is why the following conversation took place

Bonky and Pongo, taking another never ending bus ride home. Pongo is immersed in a book. Bonky is immersed in watching cute guys. They are thrown together so much anyway that they have hardly anything left to talk about. Next time I make friends, I will go for the ones with commitment phobia. At least it will not lead to my mother harbouring doubts about my orientation, seeing that I only have one friend I spent most of my time with. The others are too occupied with their better halves.

B: Damn, not one cute guy. Oooh, Ritika, you got to look, it is your soulmate.
P (By now used to this occurrence): Oh, indeed? Long hair?
B: Check
P: Tall?
B: Check
P: Earrings?
B: Only on one ear.
P: Perfect. Unshaven for a day or so?
B: Yes. An out and out aantel. Plus, he is carrying a bag which looks as if it might carry books.
P(suddenly animated): You have got to be kidding me. You found my soulmate!! Where is he?
B:Oooohhhh
P(tremulous): Hot girlfriend?
B( nodding sadly): Check.

4) I grow older. With a difference. I will never be a teen anymore. I leave my teens with regrets, having never done a thing teens are supposed to do. No wild romances, no overnight wild blings(or is it bilge, anyway, something) and certainly no pyjama parties either. At 19, I am growing up to be a dowdy 30 year old.

Though there is still about a month left. A whole month to fill it up with all the wildness of seven years.

I think I will end up being a dowdy thirty year old twenty year old. I have had more fun that way in all these years anyway.

Valentine's Day is not only for couples. Its for all loved ones. I love you all for actually taking time out and visiting my blog. So, here is wishing you all a Happy Valentine's Day.
Also, please dress in black on fourteenth. We will have a collective mourning for Mr. Wodehouse.

19 scaly flippers:

Occasional Brilliance 9:19 am, February 11, 2008  

black happens to be my favourite colour and i cannot think of a better way to spend Valentine's than mourning Mr. Wodehouse... RIP

Abhishek 5:15 pm, February 11, 2008  

there are more single people on earth other than you. always people who break up tell me single is happy.
i just hold my pride by saying i never tried for the same reason. saves me the embarrassment. :|

Doubletake, Doublethink. 7:12 pm, February 11, 2008  

i decided on the black dress code ages ago. we shall light candles for pelham.

and yes, of course it's a gimmick. especially the red hearts.

and yes, i'm still laughing.

ps. it's either "bilge" or "binge". "bling" is what gangsta rappers wear. a lot of it, if vh1 is to be believed.

Ishtaar 11:06 pm, February 11, 2008  

Sigh... Yes... The soulmate always comes with a hot girlfriend...

ArSENik 6:22 am, February 12, 2008  

Holy shit! You saw my identical twin with a hot girlfriend?? It's probably disturbing that this reminds me of The Prestige and nothing else. But I bet you there was a laptop, an external HD, some cables, a film binder and maybe, one book in the bag.

Black it is then this V-day in Wodehouse's memory.

Noisy Autist 11:04 am, February 12, 2008  

Pity I studied in a college politically too inclined... the ruling party never had a strong opposition. I regret not having taken part in some sort of political unrest. ;)

Zahid 11:35 am, February 12, 2008  

Hmm..New template and a V-day post !!! isnt it a bit early for both....

Green is the color of envy and on valentines day you change it. It might not suit hte day. Of course if you want to celebrate the anti valentine day you can !!!

cheers !!!

dreamy 6:33 pm, February 12, 2008  

Right.Even I think it is a marketing gimmick. I mean I can't even listen to radio these days because of the V-day banter. I am not even going anywhere near MTV.

anyway, hilarious post. Happy V day to you.

Black it is.The dress code. :)

Anonymous 6:44 pm, February 12, 2008  

here is why being single rocks
..umm
...err
...umm
actually it doesnot(especially since i m much older)

ad libber 8:53 pm, February 13, 2008  

@bubbles
true
@abhishek
the grass is always greener on the other side :(
@doubletake
its binge i think.
@ishtaar
yes :x
@arsenik
no laptop, just a jhola
@noisy autist
That is the other kind of misfortune
@zahid
anti valentine day rocks!!
@dreamy
i stopped watching mtv after the get gorgeous started ( or was it v?)
@tgwzn
i have a feeling not being single is not much fun either. There is not true happiness.

speedpost 11:12 pm, February 13, 2008  

I'm lookin for my finest black jaama for tomorrow. And re-reading my favourite Mr. Mulliners. Gives me some hope of ending up happily.

Llama 12:17 pm, February 14, 2008  

I used to dig guys like that! Tall, earring, bookworm types. Then I turned 23. :(

And V-Day is a marketing gimmick even if you're dating. Waste of money on tonnes of ugly, heart-shaped things.

coffee stain 1:06 pm, February 14, 2008  

V day?! VforVendetta day..... lol you go girl!

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ 2:59 am, February 15, 2008  

"P(tremulous): Hot girlfriend?
B( nodding sadly): Check."

Haha!!!,...Story of some lives,I must admit!!!

onnesha 12:53 am, February 16, 2008  

out and out antels have the most pseudo girlfriends.i have noticed this.and there has never been an exception.
*sigh*

What's In A Name ? 6:44 am, February 17, 2008  

New -look blog, eh ??? Looks great though.

And about the V-day...... better to dress in black for Wodehouse than splurging on nothing.

Macadamia The Nut 9:06 pm, February 19, 2008  

Is it really that volatile during elections? Darn! I feel sorry for me too :(

Amazing Graze 9:35 pm, February 19, 2008  

nice way you write, loved the way you started this post.
1.I have studied in a politically inclined college, but there was only one party, they never even had the elections. I have often wondered what it would be like to actually have a choice.
2.Dr.Strangelove is education. better than most textbooks will teach you.
3.You should go out on Valentines day, go to a place these couples go & sit & watch, its better than cartoon network.
4.leaving your teens behind isn't an end, its a beginning of the wild times. (trust me, i know from experience :P)

causticji 8:02 am, May 16, 2008  

1) I've never studied in a politically inclined college.

2) I like to think I'm above examinations - sadly, I'm not.

3) Valentine's Day is one day I never fail to bunk.

3a) Everytime I fall in love at first sight, she's with a guy.

4) You're not the only one who has had an uneventful teenage go by.

:'(

  © Blogger template Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP