ad_libber Made with My Cool Signs.Net

Mr. Bhagat, A Word Please

>> Monday, October 12, 2009

Since I have not really read the book, my only impression of it has been built by the bits and pieces the roommate indignantly read out loud to mark her displeasure. It is at her behest that I write this piece.

Mr. Bhagat, I am aware of the sheer esteem of the institutions you belong to, and the credit you bring upon them. The fact that I read 'five point someone' at what is best described as gunpoint and have not cared to read the rest might reflect a certain bias in my attitude towards your works, but personally, I have had nothing against you or your successes.

However, the latent economist in me can not but crib and cry afoul when she finds incorrect definitions and concepts lightly thrown about. My dear man, an L- shaped curve is not the marginal utility curve. Marginal implies differentiable and the L shaped curve has a kink. That is why it is L shaped in the first place. The L- shaped curve, sir, is in fact a special case of an indifference curve where two goods are supposed to be complements, which, since you have studied Microeconomics both in IIT and IIM, you must have memorized a thousand times.

Please do not insult economics or students of economics so, considering your own grounding of the basics does not seem to be the strongest.

Best wishes for your next work.

Regards
A very irked Economics student

10 scaly flippers:

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ 6:51 pm, October 12, 2009  

whoa!u do take ur subject seriously!
Not that I like bhagat and his books though.... but whoa! some angst that was.. :D

A Benevolent Sultan for Life 2:09 am, October 13, 2009  

:).

Diwakar Sinha 8:56 pm, October 13, 2009  

Oh I didnt know that.
Thanks for sharing btw..it gave more ground to my prejudice.

vanilla sky 11:39 am, October 29, 2009  

I wonder how I survived '3 mistakes'.

Abhishek 9:41 pm, November 03, 2009  

Mr Bhagat,
you've been served!

The Ancient Mariner 1:01 am, November 11, 2009  

well, not an economist myself so have little to say about the point you have highlighted! though, about the book, i have two words: bolly trash!

harsha 6:31 pm, December 05, 2009  

what if an author you liked had made similar mistakes?? don't take it in the wrong way..just curious coz u seemed to have mixed ur dislike and his ignorance..

Anonymous 11:29 pm, December 28, 2009  

Perhaps with so much 'writing' to do, Bhagat's knowledge in economics is depleting...poor guy :P

Anonymous 11:29 pm, December 28, 2009  

@Harsha: A mistake is a mistake, whichever author makes it..if it's wrong, it should be pointed out, isn't it?

perplexed yet unfazed 9:36 pm, May 22, 2010  

atlast there is someone to point out his mistake.......

  © Blogger template Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP