ad_libber Made with My Cool Signs.Net

Ode to Too Many Failed Attempts to Solve an *expletive* Maths Question

>> Saturday, November 03, 2007

Staring out of the window,
At the lone light, struggling for existence,
Like the last beacon in a tempestuous gale,
At the silhouettes, endeavoring to recognize each.

At the last scrap of paper, with the futile attempts
Of an entire day, smudged here and there
With hopeless tears, betraying the anguish
Of a bitterly disillusioned mind.

Praying with the belief of an atheist,
Looking out at the night sky, with a new surge of angst,
Light breaks out, the firmament lightens slowly.
Dawn arrives.

How desperately do I need to sleep.

And I have yet not solved the sum.


I am a bitter woman. I can't rhyme words. I suck at poetry. I am sick of Mathematics. If you hate this poem, its perfectly reasonable. I hate it too.

13 scaly flippers:

What's In A Name ? 12:39 am, November 04, 2007  

Except for the "And I have yet not solved the sum" (and of course the silent expletive at the end) I love it! You have a way with words for sure.

Ruchit 12:47 am, November 04, 2007  

they say poetry is emotions recollected in tranquillity.

I have doubts on how tranquil were ur mind when writing this literary piece. How can it be in peace? Lacklusture equations, lack of sleep might have had taken ur toll. Hence, its really tough to make things rhyme, when ur mind itself is jittery (of course when u come mano-a-mano to such a seemingly obnoxious mathematical what-not, anyone's mind can go astray).

Yet, even in such forgettable situations, u have really written something nice. I aint joking, but poetry doesnt always mean, u have to rhyme. Just if the thoughts are flowing freely, and those come out from ur pen (here its the fingers and the keyboard)....then, nothing does really need to rhyme....

Also, the way u have written the various predicaments that u have faced, the mental as well as visual descriptions, I blv its quite appreciable.

ad libber 12:55 am, November 04, 2007  

oh heck
:P

The Ancient Mariner 12:57 am, November 04, 2007  

had there been not this title, and not this last line about the sum, i would have thought this was one of those great communist poets writing about struggle for existence and the great revolution that never came to bengal...[:-)]Pongo.... u r too good.

Abhishek 1:44 am, November 04, 2007  

that is it?!!!

~Moo-lah Buz!nezzz~ 3:57 am, November 04, 2007  

ummm...the best way to solve maths is to know that a 2 and another 2 adds up to be a 4.
Maths and literature are the only things that makes sense to me,i guess!!

Occasional Brilliance 9:02 am, November 04, 2007  

lolz... i love this poem... u shd 2.. it sums d plights f millions f ppl arnd d wrld hu cnt solve maths problems... oh n trust me wn i tell u miserable is an understatmnt wn it comes 2 describing my number skills... d only thing i evr likd ws geometry... [:d] quite lkd drawing dose triangles

Noisy Autist 11:14 pm, November 04, 2007  

Or maths is just an allusion?

ad libber 12:37 am, November 05, 2007  

@ancient mariner
careful, keep on saying stuff like this and my college mates will drag me to join the union.

@abhishek
Do you want more butter outpourings from a neurotic girl? Your tastes are strange.

@moo-lah
It used be the same for me. And then I went to college....

@firewhisky
I hated geometry. I suck at drawing. I loved trigonometry though. And calculus. I still do..when I am not giving exams on them.

@noisy autist
I know. Its awful. 19 years and the only real tragedy in my life is too much mathematics. I haven't lived at all.:(

ArSENik 1:08 am, November 06, 2007  

I think bitterness produces good poetry, which of course has as much to do with rhyming as being Indian and being vegetarian. Looks like I didn't get the ode since I don't share the poet's sentiments about these pensive lines :)

PS: Mathematics, that calculating SOB doesn't deserve such odes since these are just words to its exclusively raional mind.

Abhishek 5:39 pm, November 06, 2007  

is that in the literal or the figurative sense? :P

ad libber 7:35 pm, November 06, 2007  

@abhishek
i meant bitter :P
typos can be really dangerous.....

Abhishek 5:20 pm, November 08, 2007  

i'll stick to my question

  © Blogger template Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP